Saturday, July 20, 2013

Vienna and Things I Do To Relax ~ #rndrobn0713

Good morning everyone!

Yes, it is already morning for me here in Vienna, Austria. The sun is streaming through my window and it looks as if it is going to be a mighty fine day though a bit warm.

First, let me apologize for my dust. I’m in the middle of a renovation on this blog so the header’s kinda ugly and the colors are an experiment to see what I really want while making it a pleasant experience for you. But one thing that will definitely happen is that the background image will change monthly to a new picture of Vienna I’ve taken over the past couple years. The plan is to keep the colors the same. We’ll just have to experiment with how that works.

I also plan to post on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays here from todayon. I realize I’ve been lax and do have so much to share on what’s going on in Austria. I tweet most days at least one thought about being here. Hopefully, your Viennese fix will be fulfilled with all these new additions.

Today, I’m doing a round robin with a group of talented writers that I met when I was with Night Writers. We’ve decided to do this since the blog is no more because we love that we can still connect and help one another out. So...please click through all of us and enjoy the posts...I’ll be giving you the link for A.J. Maquire at the end of this post.

I’d like to talk about how I relax and rejuvenate here in Vienna. There are many ways one can do that. In the spring, summer and fall, there are a variety of festivals one can go to throughout the city. Here’s a picture of a concert we went to at Schonbrunn Palace in June. It was put on by the Vienna Orchestra and it was wonderful. Just lots of people.



In the spring, right before Easter, I love going to the many Easter egg pavilions and seeing the wares there. The eggs are so elaborate and beautiful and expensive. But I have a few I sent home and a few here with me so I can remember this wonderful time.





Also, in the spring there are more flowers in this city than I’d ever seen anywhere. They are in every park and people have them in flower boxes out the windows. It even grows down the walls from some apartments. It’s an amazing sight to see.



Some weekends, we’ll go outside of the city to see the various different areas close to home. One of my favorites is a place I’ve talked about before...Carnuntum...it’s a Roman ruin that I just can’t get enough of and I visit as often as I can. It’s fantastic.



Another way that I relax is I do a spa day. There are tons of local spas and one has their pick of many. Normally, I’ll go have a facial, a manicure/pedicure and a massage. Nothing beats a good girl day even if I have to do it alone.



Fall is another time I really enjoy here. The trees out my office window are wonderful and I so enjoy walking in Prater park. The weather is cooler and the whole vibe of the city has changed from summer to the slowing down the season brings.



Now, one of the best times I have is in the winter. We have the various Christkindlemarkts that are absolutely fantastic. I love the snow and the season. I love taking walks even when it is cold though I might complain about the temperature occasionally. The first snow is beautiful and I love watching Pup Harry as he has great fun.



As indicated, we mainly walk everywhere or take trains to nearly all destinations. It seems no matter where we go, walking has become the great relaxer and that’s good since we don’t have a car. This was a personal choice as we could have brought one but decided to see the wonders of Vienna without one. This choice has been a blessing in surprise as both of the husband and myself have gained many health benefits from all the walking.

By this moment, I’m sure you’re wondering what all this has to do with writing. Well...suffice it to say...everything. It has great impact with my A Taste of Vienna series as it all takes place in or near the city. How I relax here, how I travel here or how I live life can be great inspirations on what to put into the novels. The first one, A Viennese Christmas, is talked about in the post immediately before this one.

The most important thing I’ve discovered is that I love writing about Vienna in either a fiction or a nonfiction way. There is always something going on here as well as new additions every day.

Don’t forget to go to the next great author in this round robin. A.J. Maguire can be found here and her post will be just as wonderful as learning about Vienna.  http://ajmaguire.wordpress.com/

Thanks and we’ll see you all on Tuesday...have a great weekend!

Lynn

7 comments:

  1. Loved all the pictures, thanks for the "trip." I agree it's very different to explore places on foot than by driving - driving you miss so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite type of trip... hearing someone's comments and photos on a place they love. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debora,

    Thanks for stopping by...and yes...you do tend to see things you'd otherwise miss when you're on foot. Like tonight we went in search of a new restaurant to eat in. We went down a side street we'd seen many times but never went down. There were at least 7 new places we hadn't even known about. We'll be doing this more often.

    And even with the trains, you can see things that you know you want to come back to at a later time.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I'm beginning to really like it over here. And it helps that we're exploring even more.

    Thanks Rhobin for stopping by.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this description of Vienna throughout the seasons. We were there last Sept. for the first time and had such a mad rush to see the big tourist sights in only 3 days. So impressed. I would love to return some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it took me so long, Serena, to reply. Had a computer crash early this month and the weeks before weren't much better.

    Yeah, rushing through Vienna isn't something one should do. I'd suggest anyone coming to visit to plan to stay at least a week. The city is meant to be seen slowly...strolling in this city is far more common than one might think...and people have some of the most lovely scenery even to stroll through.

    The one thing I do love about here is the seasons. Living in the desert, there were two: cold and hot. Nothing else. This place in that aspect is a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a trip in Vienna with my family and the trip was really full of fun, we enjoyed travelling with a lot of shopping.

    ReplyDelete