Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Big Move

Hi Everyone!

This is the first post of my new blog. For those of you who know me, you know that I moved to Vienna, Austria with my husband in May of this year. This has been in the works for nearly two years and will help explain my flakey nature during that time.

I won’t lie and tell you it’s been easy. It has been anything but easy. I’ve learned a lot of hard lessons during my time here as well as during the move and my subsequent trip back to the States for minor surgery.

But there were some hard realities attached to this move. One, we wanted to run away from home for us. My husband and I have been married many years and decided it was time to do something really decadent for ourselves. Second, we felt it would be economic suicide to not move as it came with a lot of benefits that we didn't have at home.

Frankly, I didn’t think he’d actually make the leap since he was a homebody, yet for some reason I was shocked when he did. For someone over fifty the transition is hard and it isn’t like visiting. Many of my friends told me I’d just love it and I do in some ways but not always.

See, it’s hard when you don’t speak the language. It’s hard when all you’ve really seen is the tourist part of the city. Living somewhere puts a whole different perspective on everything. Things like turning on the electricity can become a nightmare in logistics when you don’t speak the language or know just how to write your address.

There are wonderful things as well, such as seeing a bike race with over 300 bikers in it. The sound was amazing and it’s one of the blogs you’ll be noting here. There are desserts that I actually love and for one who isn’t a sweet eater, it’s a new horizon.

I’ve been jotting things down since I got here. Those notes have been sporadic but they are beginning to get more ordered. What I’ll be doing in the beginning is to post all the things I’ve written about being here and I’ll include the day I actually wrote it so you’ll have some perspective as to where I was in the thought process. My hope is within a month’s time those posts will merge with real time and I can start posting more regularly.

This blog will not replace my writers blog and I will be starting those up again shortly. That’s the one good thing about being here in Vienna, I have lots of time to write. I will also try to change up the background here from time to time. I will be using pictures from Vienna during the different seasons and places I will see during my three or more years here. Hope you enjoy them!

The first background picture is of the fountain in the gardens behind Schonnbrun Palace. The land was purchased by Emperor Maximilian II for use as a game preserve for the royal court and it’s guests. It was bequeathed to Eleanor Gonzaga at the death of her husband Ferdinand II. She built a palace on the site in 1638 and it was officially known as Schonnbrun in 1642.  Its history continues from there and is quite diverse. I really loved the fake Roman Ruins put in during the reign of Maria Theresa because it was the ‘in’ thing to do. Amazing how some things never change. Here’s a link that will give you a more detailed history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%B6nbrunn_Palace





More on the history of Vienna later...

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment